2/3 cup milk
3 teaspoons white vinegar or fresh lemon juice
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 large egg
2 tablespoons syrup, plus more for serving
2 tablespoons butter
3 ripe bananas (1 mashed, 2 sliced)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 teaspoons brown sugar
- Whisk together milk and vinegar, then set aside for about 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, mix flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk milk/vinegar mixture and egg together. Add 1 tablespoon melted butter, syrup and vanilla. Mash one banana and add to wet ingredients.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients, gently stirring (do not overmix).
- Add a small amount of butter or non-stick spray to a pan over medium heat. Then add 1/3 cup batter to the pan and cook until small bubbles form, about 2-3 minutes. Flip pancake and cook 1-2 more minutes. Do the same with the rest of the batter.
For banana topping:
- In a pan, melt 1 tablespoon of butter and mix in brown sugar over medium heat. Add in the sliced bananas and a sprinkle of cinnamon. Cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring often, until lightly golden brown.
- Top pancakes with bananas and other toppings such as syrup or peanut butter.