1 cup cooked rice (white or brown)
3 bell peppers, cut in half
1/2 pound ground turkey or beef
1 teaspoon Italian spice mix (or dry basil and oregano)
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1 cup mushrooms, sliced
1 cup zucchini, chopped (about 1 small zucchini)
1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes with liquid
- Cook the rice according to package directions. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut the peppers in half from top to bottom. Remove the stem and seeds.
- In a large pan over medium heat (300 degrees in an electric skillet), cook
the turkey until no longer pink. Add spices during last few minutes.
- Add onion, mushrooms and zucchini to the pan. Add a small amount of
oil, if needed. Cook until tender.
- Mix in the tomatoes and rice. Remove from heat.
- Fill the pepper halves with the skillet mixture.
- Cover the baking dish with foil. Bake at 350 degrees for 40-50 minutes
or until peppers are tender when poked with a fork.
There are a lot of options for this recipe, use yellow squash in place of zucchini. If you don’t like mushrooms use carrots or celery. Quinoa can be used in place of rice.
Recipe from: Food Hero