Makes 6 servings
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2-pound potatoes, skin on, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
4 cloves garlic, chopped or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
6 cups broth
1 1/2 cups canned tomatoes, crushed or diced
1 1/2 cups white beans, canned, drained and rinsed
1/2 medium cabbage, cored and sliced into
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- Warm the olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
Stir in the potatoes. Cover and cook until a bit soft and
starting to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and onion and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the broth, canned tomatoes and beans, and bring
the pot to a simmer.
- Stir in the cabbage and cook for 2-3 more minutes,
until the cabbage softens.
- Add cheese and season with pepper to taste.
Tip: This recipe is very flexible, you can use almost any kind of bean including kidney, pinto, navy, chickpeas, etc.
Tip: Other vegetables such as carrots, green beans or zucchini can be added. Add more broth if adding more vegetables.
Recipe adapted from: https://hungerandhealth.feedingamerica.org/recipe/rustic-cabbage-soup/