1/2 cup syrup or honey
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 lemon, juiced, or 1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon dried thyme, rosemary or sage (optional)
1 (5-6 pound) whole chicken, or 1 (5-6 pound) bone-in, skin-on turkey breast
2 pounds carrots or parsnips, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In a small bowl, mix syrup, lemon juice, salt, pepper and thyme (if using).
- Place carrots on rimmed baking sheet. Tie chicken legs together and tuck wing tips under the body. Place chicken, or turkey breast-side up on baking sheet. Brush syrup mixture over chicken or turkey.
- Roast, basting (brushing or pouring) syrup mix over turkey breast every 30 minutes, until golden-brown or until meat thermometer reads 165 degrees, about 1 hour and 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to rest (sit) for 20 minutes before carving.
- Carve chicken or turkey. Serve with roasted carrots and enjoy.
Tip: Make this recipe in a slow-cooker! Place chicken in a large slow-cooker. Add 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth and syrup. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours, or on low for 6 hours, until a meat thermometer reads 165 degrees.