Makes 6 (1 cup) Servings
1-pound red potatoes (about 3-4 cups chopped)
1 tablespoon margarine or butter
1/2 cup onion, chopped
6 cups green cabbage, thinly sliced (about 1/2 head)
1 cup nonfat or 1% milk
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Scrub potatoes, but do not peel. Cut into quarters. Cook
in boiling water or steam until tender, about 15-20 minutes.
- While potatoes cook, heat butter or margarine in a large
skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook until
it becomes clear, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add cabbage and cook, stirring occasionally, until
cabbage begins to brown, about 4-6 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low. Add milk, salt and pepper. Cover
and cook until cabbage is tender, about 6-8 minutes.
- Drain potatoes. Add cabbage mixture to potatoes.
Mash with a potato masher or large fork to reach desired
texture. Serve warm.
Recipe from: Food Hero https://foodhero.org/recipes/red-potato-and-cabbage-colcannon