Makes 4 servings
4 medium (2 1/2 inches) tomatoes, rinsed
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoons red onions, peeled and chopped
1 cup cooked mixed vegetables—such as peppers, corn, carrots or peas
1 cup quinoa, rinsed
1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
1/2 ripe avocado, peeled and diced
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon fresh parsley, rinsed, dried and chopped (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cut off the tops of the tomatoes and hollow out the insides. (The pulp can be saved for use in tomato soup or sauce or salsa.) Set tomatoes aside.
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onions, and cook until they begin to soften, about 1–2 minutes. Add cooked vegetables and heat through, another 1–2 minutes.
- Add quinoa, and cook gently until it smells good, about 2 minutes.
- Add chicken broth and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and cover the pan. Cook until the quinoa has absorbed all of the liquid and is fully cooked, about 7–10 minutes.
- When the quinoa is cooked, remove the lid and gently fluff quinoa with a fork. Gently mix in the avocado, pepper and parsley.
- Carefully stuff about 3/4 cup of quinoa into each tomato. Place tomatoes on a baking sheet, and bake for about 15–20 minutes, or until tomatoes are hot throughout (tomatoes may be stuffed in advance and baked later). Serve immediately.