Makes 4-6 Servings
8 ounces whole wheat penne or ziti (half of a 16-ounce package)
1 1/2 teaspoons canola or olive oil
3 cups cubed eggplant (about 1 small)
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
2 garlic cloves, chopped or 1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 1/2 cups pasta sauce
3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil or 1 tablespoon dried
1/2 cup + 1/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese; keep divided
- Cook pasta according to package directions, leaving out salt and
oil. Drain well.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add cubed
eggplant and onion. Cook for 8 minutes or until onion is browned.
- Stir in garlic and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add salt, crushed red pepper and pasta sauce (and basil, if
using). Bring to a simmer. Reduce heat and cook for 5 minutes.
Remove from heat.
- Toss eggplant mixture with pasta. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup cheese
and toss gently.
- Top evenly with remaining 1/4 cup cheese. Serve immediately.
Recipe from : Jewish Family and Children’s Service, hungerandhealth.feedingamerica.org