Makes 6 Servings
16 ounces pasta, whole wheat
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/2 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
2 cups cooked chicken cubes (or 3 chicken sausages, chopped)
6 cups swiss chard, chopped
1 (15.5 ounce) can low sodium cannellini beans, rinsed and
drained (can also use great northern or navy beans)
2 cups chicken broth, low-sodium (or vegetable broth)
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
Salt and pepper, to taste
1/2 cup parmesan cheese (optional)
- Cook the pasta according to directions on the box.
- On medium heat, add vegetable oil and onion to a large pan.
- Cook for 5 minutes; add garlic and cook for 1 minute more.
- Stir in chopped chicken and cook until heated through.
- Add swiss chard, beans, chicken or vegetable broth, and spices.
- Add cooked pasta and stir to combine.
- Cook for 5 minutes, until pasta is heated through.
- Add salt and pepper, to taste (optional), and garnish with
parmesan cheese before serving (optional).
Tip: Kale, spinach or collards can be used in place of Swiss chard. Bell peppers can be added.
Tip: This recipe can be made without chicken. Use two cans of beans if making without chicken.
Recipe adapted from: University of Maryland Extension, MyPlate Kitchen