Makes 4 Servings
4 cups rutabaga, peeled and chopped
2 cups potatoes, peeled and chopped
4 cups water
1/2 cup low-fat milk
2 teaspoons oil
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/8 teaspoon salt
1. Add chopped vegetables and water to a large pot with a lid. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
2. When the water boils, reduce heat to medium-low and cover with lid. Simmer for 20-25 minutes.
3. Drain boiled vegetables.
4. Add drained vegetables back to the pot.
5. Add milk, oil, garlic powder, pepper and salt to a microwave-safe container. Stir to mix. Microwave
for 1 minute.
6. Add warm milk to the boiled vegetables. Mash with a fork or potato masher.
Recipe from: Greater Pittsburgh Community Food Bank