8 ounces uncooked egg noodles
2 tablespoons butter
1 onion, diced
8 ounces (1 package) mushrooms, sliced
1 cup chicken broth
1 cup milk
1/4 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 can peas and carrots, drained
2 (5 ounce) cans tuna, drained
1/2 cup shredded cheese
1/4 cup breadcrumbs
Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375° and grease a 9×13 inch baking dish.
- Cook noodles in water to al dente (not cooked the whole way). Drain and set aside.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a deep pan. Add the onions and cook on medium heat until see
through, about 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in the flour and salt. Cook flour, stirring for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Slowly add in the chicken broth and stir until smooth. Then, slowly add in the milk. Keep stirring
until the liquid starts to bubble.
- Once boiling, add the mushrooms, peas and carrots and turn heat to a simmer (small bubbles).
Add salt and pepper. Stir at times while the liquid thickens, about 5 to 8 minutes.
- Remove the pan from heat. Add the tuna and cheese. Stir until cheese melts. Then stir in the
noodles. Pour the creamy noodle mixture into the baking dish.
- In a small dish, melt 1 tablespoon butter and mix with the breadcrumbs. Sprinkle over the top of
- Bake the casserole about 25 minutes, or until bubbling. Then, place under the broiler for 1 to 2
minutes to brown the top, keeping a close eye to prevent burning.