Makes: 2 1/2 cups cooked beans
1 cup dried pinto, navy or kidney beans
1 onion, unpeeled and cut into quarters
1 garlic clove, peeled and cut in half
1 teaspoon salt
- Place dried beans in a mixing bowl. Add cold water to cover. Refrigerate overnight.
- The next day: Drain beans, place in pot, and cover with fresh water. Bring to a boil, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Lower the heat to a simmer, add cut onion and garlic, cover pot with lid (or use aluminum foil), and cook until beans are partially tender, about 30 minutes to an hour.
- Add salt and continue cooking until beans are tender, but not mushy. Once fully cooked, turn off heat.
- Let beans cool in their broth. Remove onion and garlic and throw away.
- Pour off broth and reserve it for a soup. The beans can now be used wherever they’re called for.