Serves 8, Makes 5 cups pumpkin puree
For pumpkin puree:
2 small pumpkins, such as sugar pumpkins
1 (9-inch) refrigerated pie crust, or homemade pie crust
2 cups pumpkin puree
1 (12-ounce) can evaporated milk
1/2 cup sugar
2 large eggs
2 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice, or cinnamon
- For pumpkin: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cut pumpkin in half. Using a large
spoon, scrape seeds and pulp from the center. Place pumpkin halves, cut-sidedown
on aluminum foil lined rimmed baking sheet.
- Bake until pumpkin is fork-tender, about 45 to 55 minutes. Let pumpkin cool for 15 minutes before handling.
- Carefully peel skin from flesh of pumpkin. Place pumpkin in a large bowl. Using a large fork or potato masher, mash pumpkin until smooth. Store refrigerated, or freeze in a resealable plastic bag until ready to use.
- For pie: Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Put pie crust in pie dish. Press crust into pie dish and crimp edges.
- Mix pumpkin (2 cups), milk, sugar, eggs and pumpkin pie spice together in large bowl until smooth.
- Pour pumpkin mixture into pie crust. Bake until crust is golden-brown and filling is set, about 35 to 45 minutes. Allow to cool for at least 1 hour before slicing and serving. There will be leftover pumpkin puree.