8 slices of bread (wheat), cubed
1 (8 ounce) ham steak, cut into 1-inch cubes
6 large eggs
2 cups milk
1 onion, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped
1 tablespoon oil
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 (13.5 ounce) can spinach
Pepper, to taste
- Grease a 9×13 inch baking pan and spread bread cubes onto the greased pan. Set aside.
- Drain spinach and pat dry with paper towels. Set aside.
- In a large pan on the stove, heat oil over medium heat. Add chopped bell pepper and
onion, and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, stirring at times.
- Stir in ham and spinach and keep cooking for 1 to 3 more minutes. Remove the pan from
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk eggs, milk, 1/2 cup cheese and garlic powder. Add
pepper, to taste. Pour egg-milk mixture over the bread.
- Next, add the ham and vegetable mixture on top of the bread and egg mixture. Sprinkle
1/2 cup of cheddar cheese on top.
- Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350°, remove strata from the fridge, and take off the cover.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.
Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.