3 tablespoons olive oil
5 cups chopped and stemmed greens, such as kale, spinach, swiss chard
or collard greens
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups milk
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a pan, heat 1 tablespoon of oil. Add chopped greens and cook until wilted and tender, about 5 to 6 minutes. Take the pan off the heat, drain any liquid that is left, and place cooked greens to the side.
- In the same pan, heat 2 tablespoons of oil over medium heat. Add flour and cook, stirring often until there are no lumps.
- Slowly stir in milk and garlic powder until mixed. Let simmer (bubble) for 5 to 7 minutes, stirring from time to time, until sauce thickens. Stir in red pepper flakes, if using.
- Add greens to the pan with milk mixture.
- Let cook 3 to 5 minutes, stirring from time to time. Season with salt and pepper to taste.