Makes 4 servings
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 yellow onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 celery stalk, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
1 (14.5 ounce) can low-sodium diced tomatoes (including liquid)
1 (16 ounce) can low-sodium chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1/4 cup water
1 package (10 ounces) frozen spinach (or fresh spinach)
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice (or red wine vinegar)
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Put a pan on the stove on medium-high heat. When the pan is hot, add oil.
- Add onion, garlic, celery and carrot. Cook about 15 minutes until the mixture is soft and the onions are lightly browned.
- Raise the heat to high and add the tomatoes, beans and water. Cook for 5 minutes. Lower the heat to low and top the mixture with the spinach (don’t worry about stirring). Cover and cook until the spinach has thawed and heated throughout, about 10 minutes. Stir well.
- Add the lemon juice and red pepper flakes and stir thoroughly.
- Serve with cooked quinoa or brown rice.
Tip: Other greens such as kale, collards or swiss chard would work in this recipe as well.
Recipe from: MyPlate Kitchen