Makes 7 servings
1 pound whole wheat pasta shells
8 cups water
2 cups cauliflower, chopped
1 1/2 cups milk, non-fat
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 cup cheese, low-fat
- Fill a pot with 6 cups of water and bring to a boil. Once the water is boiling, add pasta and cook for 8 minutes.
- Drain pasta and fill the same pot with 2 cups of water; bring to a boil.
- Place the chopped cauliflower in the boiling water and cook until the florets are soft (about 4 minutes). Drain cauliflower.
- Place the cooked cauliflower, 1/2 cup milk and garlic powder in a blender, and blend until smooth.
- In a separate pot, heat oil. Add the flour and whisk until the mixture is smooth. Add 1 cup of milk and cook until it bubbles and thickens. Add the cheese and cauliflower and mix.
- Once the mixture is complete, remove from heat. Add the pasta back into the sauce and serve.
Tip: This recipe can also be made without blending the cauliflower. Follow steps 1-3. Skip step 4 and increase the amount of milk by 1/4-1/2 cup. Add the cauliflower back in when you add the pasta back in.
Recipe adapted from: Michigan State University Extension-Midland County. With Veggies, More Matters! MyPlate Kitchen https://www.myplate.gov/recipes/supplemental-nutrition-assistance-program-snap/cauliflower-shells-cheese