Makes 4 Servings
1 small butternut squash, cooked and mashed
1 cup black beans, canned
1 small onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
1/2 large chili pepper
2 tablespoons sour cream, low-fat or reduced fat plain yogurt
8 whole wheat tortillas
1/4 cup cheddar cheese, reduced-fat
1/2 cup baby spinach
- Saute onion and garlic (using nonstick cooking spray) in a
medium size pan until soft.
- Add mashed butternut squash, black beans, spices and jalapeno.
- Heat until just warm.
- Spread squash mixture over tortilla, then top with baby
spinach, cheese and onion.
- Top with second tortilla.
- Heat a pan on high heat and spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Brown quesadilla about 1 minute on each side, until the
inside is warm, and the cheese is melted.
Tip: Other winter squash, pumpkin or sweet potato could be used in place of butternut squash.
Recipe adapted from: Bronson Wellness Center, MyPlate Kitchen