1 large apple, diced
1 tablespoon sugar
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups unsweetened applesauce
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
3 tablespoons butter, melted
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1/4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350° and grease a 9×5 inch loaf pan. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, mix diced apple and sugar. Set aside.
- In a second bowl, mix flours, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Set aside.
- In a third bowl, stir together melted butter, egg, brown sugar, applesauce and vanilla.
Mix well, making sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and stir until just mixed.
- Fold in apples and walnuts (if using).
- Pour batter into the loaf pan and bake for 50 to 60 minutes, or until an inserted knife
comes out clean.
- Allow the pan to cool (at least 30 minutes) before removing bread from the pan.