2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into small cubes
1 medium apple, peeled and chopped
2 ribs celery, chopped
1/4 teaspoon dried sage
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1 box of stove top stuffing
1 1/2 cup low-sodium broth or water
Pepper, to taste
Optional add-ins: dried cranberries or chopped walnuts
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a skillet. Add sweet potatoes, apple, and celery and saute over low-medium heat until the sweet potatoes have softened, stirring occasionally. This takes about 7 minutes.
- Add sage and thyme to vegetable-apple mixture and stir until seasonings are well distributed.
- Add dried stuffing mix and liquid of choice to the skillet and stir. Increase heat to bring the liquid to a simmer, then turn off the heat and place lid over skillet. Allow to rest for 5 minutes, or until all the liquid is absorbed.
- Season with pepper. If using, top with dried cranberries and chopped walnuts.
- Optional: For a crispy top, place the skillet under the broiler for 3-4 minutes, or until the top layer is golden.