Makes 4 Servings
4 cups broccoli, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
4 cups low sodium chicken or vegetable broth
1 cup low-fat milk
1 cup mashed potatoes, instant (prepared in water)
Salt and pepper (to taste, optional)
1/4 cup cheddar cheese, shredded (or American)
- Combine broccoli, onion and broth in large sauce pan.
Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat. Cover and simmer about 10 minutes or
until vegetables are tender.
- Add milk to soup. Slowly stir in potatoes.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until bubbly and thickened.
- Season with salt and pepper; stir in a little more milk
or water if soup is too thick.
- Sprinkle about 1 tablespoon cheese over each serving.
Tip: Serve soup with sandwich on whole grain bread or with a tossed salad.
Recipe adapted from: Arizona Nutrition Network,
Don’t Play With Your Food: Fall and Winter Cookbook, MyPlate Kitchen